- to enable the postulant and the community to discern whether God is calling him to monastic life in our community;
- to pass on to the postulant sufﬁcient information to help him discern whether or not he is called to monastic life here;
- to allow the postulant and the community to get to know one another at a human level;
- to enable the Abbot to gain some idea as to the postulant’s suitability for monastic life;
- to ensure that the postulant has adequate knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith, and to supply any deficiency;
- to ensure that the postulant has the physical and psychological health needed for community life; and
- to ensure that the postulant is sufﬁciently mature and stable to cope with monastic life.
Further reading▪ Laurentia Johns (ed.), Touched by God (Continuum, 2008)▪ Thomas Merton, The Monastic Journey (Sheldon Press, 1977)▪ Cyprian Smith, The Path of Life (Gracewing, 1995)